Tuesday 22 June 2021

22/065/21 2MT, breakfast, boules, bloods

Yesterday morning we went to a new cafe on our side of Chelmsford for breakfast. "2MT" is named after the call sign of the first entertainment radio station launched by Marconi in 1922 from a base in Writtle, just down the road. And the Marconi factory was in west Chelmsford - now inevitably turned into flats.

A curious coincidence is that I grew up in Sandbanks (Poole), long before it became the lunatically expensive property hotspot that it is now. And the Sandbanks Hotel was the base for Marconi's first successful transatlantic radio transmission.

Excellent breakfast - I had Eggs Benedict boosted by some black pudding and a sausage and a few other bits from Sue's Full English that she did not want. I hope the place keeps the same standards once it's been going a few months - it will certainly be a regular breakfast or lunch stop for us.

I took my morning pills with me and had them at the cafe. Then, as the rain was getting harder, we forgot the possibility of a walk and, apart from driving into Writtle to post a letter (what an archaic process that now seems to be!) went back home where I took my Spogest and decided to have a diuretic. As usual, a couple of hours waiting for it to kick in, and then the flood gates opened...

It's MyelomaUK's "Myeloma Awareness Week" (and in fact it was Myeloma Awareness Month a little while back, not that anybody outside the Myeloma world seemed to notice). This year is about spotting the signs and symptoms of myeloma early, which can lead to early diagnosis. That's the best possible start to anyone's life with it, and I'm in no doubt that my early diagnosis (thanks to my on-the-ball GP spotting signs of possible bone cancer quickly). Of course the pressures applied to GPs by COVID-19 have not helped with early diagnosis of any cancer, let alone the trickier blood cancers.

<https://www.myeloma.org.uk/dont-miss-myeloma/?bblinkid=252178948&bbemailid=32207799&bbejrid=2006817588>

Dex night tonight.. 01:04, feeling good and wide awake...

Later today, I have a choice of two new boules pistes to investigate. One is a U3A group playing at a pub in Rayne - cheap to join, but half an hour's drive away, the other is on this side of Brentwood, much the same drive time but with a covered and floodlit all-weather piste and various social club "advantages" that probably won't be very valuable to us. And rather more expensive...

<http://www.towerspetanque.co.uk/>

What I do will depend on the weather. Yesterday wasn't quite as wet as the last few days, bujt temperature down as low as 13C. That's almost into finger split territory.

Springfield finally sent my last set of blood test results through. Paraproteins still undetectable, free light chains all normal or very close, everything else looks ok to me under the circumstances. So remission continues, as does the consolidation regime of Len/Dex. I'm very pleased. As well as very awake. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...