Wednesday 15 September 2021

15/09/21 Balance, and more biscuits

I've said before that I get occasional patches of a few days when my balance is distinctly worse than usual (which is not the best). I don't fall over but I'm often pleased to have a handy wall or something to  steady myself against. Last night in the bathroom before going to bed I lost balance completely and had to grab anything available to stop myself ending up on the floor. Unfortunately the soap dish screwed to the wall was in just the right place and - well, it isn't screwed to the wall anymore. I bought a new tube of No More Nails (see below) and have done a repair. Now just waiting for the glue to dry completely before cleaning up the many soap stains lurking out of sight underneath and re-attaching it to the wall.

Ongar Boules are having a bit of an event to mark Finals Day on 19/09 and of course I'll make some Cheesy Parmesan Biscuits. Had to go to big Tesco to get a couple of ingredients - wore facemask, lots of sanitiser, and careful distancing. Fortunately there weren't many people in the store so no problem until I got to the checkout, which had the slowest operator in the entire worldwide history of checkout operating... Anyway, that's where I got the No More Nails as well as a couple of essential cheeses. It still feels more than a little strange going into a big supermarket  after all this time, but we have to start inching back to "normality" at some stage.

I had a surprise  'phone call from the NHS yesterday. Thanks to a cancellation, I go in for sleep apnea testing on Thursday afternoon. AFAIK this means sticking various electrodes here and there and wiring them up to an overnight sleep monitor which I have to return on Friday morning. I'm not yet sure of the implications for my usual evening shower and etc... Curiously, the night before last and last night gave me the best snoring results yet - Snore Scores of 14 and 45 against my average of 65, and no "epic" - i.e. very loud - at all.

Played petanque at Tower last night, probably the best I've played yet. I was in a three-man team with the very french Davide and a new member I shall simply call Anon. Davide is a good shooter, one of the two best in the club and the other one wasn't there. Unselfishly he took the "switch" role with Anon - who clearly rated himself as a shooter) taking the shooter role and me as pointer. After Anon had missed too many shots (he got 2/15 or 13%) Davide gave me the role, although I think of myself as more of a pointer and nudger than an outright shooter, Be that as it may, I got 8 shots out of 21 attempts (38%) which I'm very happy with, and some good pointing throws as well. My new four-finger grip did well too - I think I'm going to stick with it for pointing at least. The only bad spot was when I realised that my right hearing aid wasn't in my ear where it should have been. Luckily I found it as soon as I got back to the car  must have flipped out of my ear when I took my facemask off earlier. Anyway, that's a day of difficult phone calls avoided.

No comments:

Post a Comment

25/03/24 Back to Boules

First session of 2024 yesterday as the temperature was not too bad yesterday morning and for once it wasn't raining. Played two doubles ...