Saturday 18 September 2021

18/08/21 Eggs, boules, Ronapreve

First, the good news. The result of my bowel cancer screening came in - no need for further investigation at this time.That's a relief, because like any cancer patient I'm at increased risk of secondary cancer(s). Every X-ray, every CT, just about every pill and drip carries a slight extra risk, and one cancer at a time is quite enough for me!

Returned the sleep apnea monitor to Broomfield just before 10:00 as requested. I didn't sleep very well with it but got two reasonably long spess. The main problem was the "nasal canula" - the two plastic tubes that go up your nostrils. There's nothing to keep them in place,so they kept falling out. If I ever have to do this again, I'll equip myself with a roll of tape to secure the tubes rather better. My sleep wasn't helped either by my cat Blue, who came on the bed at least twice during the  night demanding attention. She NEVER comes up during the night - sometimes for a few minutes when I go to bed or when I wake in the morning - but never between. Just another example of the curious "intelligence" or perception or whatever you call it of cats - she could tell I wasn't sleeping normally and wanted to help in her way...

I just hope they can recover enough data off the monitor to make a diagnosis one way or the other.  And if it is what I think, getting used to a CPAP machine will be a small price to pay for not falling asleep all the time. And Sue will be pleased. Very pleased.

After returning the monitor we went to The Hare for breakfast - I had my usual Eggs Benedict with a Garnett's sausage. It was fine except that the base of the lower muffins was very hard to cut. I was tempted to ask the waiter for a steak knife, or possibly a hacksaw.











We're very lucky to get lots of fresh eggs from our neighbour's chickens. They aren't always as large as I might like, but the taste is superb! I think I'll be doing some omelettes (with cheese, mushrooms, and chives from the garden) for dinner later.

After breakfast I went to Ongar for what was left of the U3A boules session, but they were all gone when I arrived. I know a couple of other regulars were also unlikely to make it, so I suspect the others may have gone to the King's Head for coffee earlier than usual. So I did some solo practice until some other Ongar people turned up and we did some more practice sharing a few ideas, then played a friendly. Sorry to say that my side lost. Twice. By the end of that I could feel my game going off so I called a halt and went home, not least because I have a lot of petanque to play over the next few days and want to keep reasonably fresh. But more about all that later.

Some more good news from The Daily Mail, if that can be seen as a trusted source:

"The life-saving antibody cocktail drug given to Donald Trump last year will be given to vulnerable NHS patients from next week.   

Last month, Health Secretary Sajid Javid heralded Ronapreve as the first treatment designed specifically for Covid-19 to receive regulatory approval in the UK.

The Department for Health and Social Care said on Friday that it had the potential to benefit thousands of patients, with its rollout initially targeted at those who have not mounted an antibody response against Covid-19."

If that can be taken at face value (and I haven't yet had time to dig any further) it would be halfway to my personal threshold of two effective treatments. Let's hope the DM hasn't gone of at half-cock yet again.

Did Pill Organisation yesterday evening because no time for it in the morning - we'll be heading off to Birchanger for the BD Plate competition combined with food, a free bar, and plenty of social chat etc.. Pleased that Sue is coming as well. Might even get her to play a game... Then on Sunday we have an end-of-season party along with finals day for the club competition - Brian and I have one match to play - and I'll make Cheesy Parmesan Biscuits when we get home from Birchanger. After all that I may well give Epping a miss on Monday morning - I'll be pretty much bouled-out by then.

Everything else is ticking over nicely as usual. Nothing particular to add.


Service failure with our new fibre broadband  - sounds as if the problem is with power supply. I've switched back to BTinternet ADSL, which is fast enough for most purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

15/04/24 Good news, mostly

I have my appointment for CT scan and pre-assessment at UCLH (Euston) on Wed 17th, probable surgery date for the cement injection Thursday 2...