Sunday 19 September 2021

19/09/21 Biscuits, Birchanger, Bowels

It's the  first dex night of the week - anything might happen. I need to be up reasonably early for Ongar Boules at 10:00 - Brian and I have a match scheduled for 11:15 but I'd like to get there earlier in time for a practice game first. It's also the end-of-season party (if the rain holds off)and I'ver made my usual Cheesy Parmesan Biscuits.

Sue and I were both at Birchanger for the BD Plate competition, plus free bar and buffet lunch, many thanks to the sponsors from Tenerife. I lost both of my games - one to the club Chairman and the other to the wife of a man who played for England back in 1980! She must have played a lot of petanque over all those years, which might explain why she was a good deal better than I thought she would be. Only a one point win, but that's enough. Having to go into these games cold without any warm-up games was a real problem - I don't usually get going until the second game. But of course it was the same for everyone. Had an interesting chat with her husband later, and a more frustrating one with the other ex-England international who seemed incapable of understanding my point abut why so many people line up a throw with the hand under the ball and then switch to overhand during the delivery swing. Seems to me that you should set up and aim with exactly the same arm and hand position that you use to throw - especially for people like me with over-extended elbows.

Here's yours truly (aka "Ian the Hat" in several clubs) having a deep tactical thought about where this boule is going:












and a general shot of the scene:













I'm about to deliver. My opponent is next to me on the left, then the very french Herve having a sit-down.

Bowel management worked well, and no senna last night in preparation for Ongar in the morning.

Ankle oedema is still there on the left but very much reduced on the right. The small proto-rash on my right wrist is starting to fade, as is one on my right elbow. Treating with antiseptic cream as before.


Had a voicemail from Dr.Ch's secretary with an appointment for next consultation on Monday 27th at 10:00. but she was very quiet for some reason and even streaming to my hearing aids at maximum volume I couldn't tell whether it was face-to-face (as agreed last time) or 'phone again. I've emailed for clarification but as she only works limited hours I'll probably have to call Springfield Hospital to find out whether I have a face-to-face appointment or not. Either way it's going to mean missing a Monday morning at Epping (Hanbury Gardens) although I might turn up for an afternoon game.

No pre-bisphosphonate dental check this week as those are eight-weekly. I'm assuming I'll be OK for another Zometa drip this Friday.


No comments:

Post a Comment

15/04/24 Good news, mostly

I have my appointment for CT scan and pre-assessment at UCLH (Euston) on Wed 17th, probable surgery date for the cement injection Thursday 2...