Friday 8 October 2021

08/10/21 Improving, and angling

Things improved significantly yesterday (Thursday) but I decided to be sensible and cancel Thorley / Birchanger coules to be on the safe side. I'd be a fool not to take some lessons from what happened Tuesday / Wednesday, and I have no wish to go through that again. Walking is fine again now (insofar as it ever is, Sue reminds me of how slow I've become even with a walker to help). Still a little background discomfort in the right foot but nothing bad. Curiously it now seems centred around the ankle rather than the other end of the foot. I've applied a dose of Universal Panacea (i.e. Deep Heat spray) there and also to both shoulders which still don't feel quite 100% right. It may or may not work, but it makes me feel better.

Someone on the facebook myeloma group I admin for got a bit confused with her white blood cell names - basophils, eosinophils, neutrophile, etc. - and wrote about her necrophils. These unusual blood cells are, I think, found only in zombies....

BTW, if anyone's interested,there's a good guide to the confusing world of leucocytes (white blood cells) at <https://www.thoughtco.com/types-of-white-blood-cells-373374>.

Weather forecast for this afternoon looks good so I aim to go to the informal session at Ongar for the afternoon. That'll also give me an opportunity to explain that I'll have to miss Sunday because of my third COVID vaccination appointment, and that I'm likely to be rather less regular than usual through the winter when the weather is bad.

Yesterday had quite a good morning so we went to Oaklands Park for a walk (not a long one, just once round the park and once round the grass in front of the house) then took my car for a much-needed car wash and on to M&S in the Clock Tower Retail Park for lunch (toasted tuna, cheese, and spring onion sandwich) and a bit of food shopping. Although it was a perfectly acceptable toastie, Sue and I are agreed that there's nothing to beat a good cheese and tomato.


Curious Fact Department stimulated by a question on the recording of Mastermind that I'm watching while I blog: the term "angling" for fishing derives from "angle" for a basic hook - either made from bone or wood or metal. The first English book on fishing with a hook - "A Treatyse of Fysshynge wyth an Angle" (pub. 1496) was written by Dame Julia Berners, Abbess of a monastery in Berners Roding - which is no more than a couple of miles from here. No trace of the monastery is left, although we know exactly where it was (the site of a modern farmhouse). For a variety of reasons including eyesight that isn't as good as it was I no longer fish, but I wonder how many of the high-tech carp anglers who frequent the small lakes around here are aware of how close they are to the roots of the sport. Probably not very many.



No comments:

Post a Comment

15/04/24 Good news, mostly

I have my appointment for CT scan and pre-assessment at UCLH (Euston) on Wed 17th, probable surgery date for the cement injection Thursday 2...