Sunday 17 October 2021

17/10/21 The Shed, and David Amess

Went to Sawbridgeworth yesterday morning in search of a walk along the towpath of the Stort for some decent exercise - it's a walk we've done often, though more before COVID than after. But the rain got a bit too heavy and that put us off.












So we had a rather shorter walk from where we parked the car (always a bit of a problem there) to The Shed Coffee House for a light lunch.





















I had a cappuccino (not at all bad) and we both chose a croissant with butter and jam. It wasn't a proper croissant - would have driven a Frenchman out of his wits - being a basic bread tough somehow worked into a croissant shape - no laminations, no flaky buttery pastry. Nevertheless, they went down well.

Weather looks OK for Ongar boules later - low chance of rain and temperature down to 10C but I have my trusty USB handwarmer to keep my right hand warm between throws.

Nothing else for tonight, which is the second of the week's two dex nights. I seem to have adapted well to it and it now has little if an effect on my sleep..


I can't leave this without something about the murder of  MP David Amess.in what gives every appearance of being extreme Islamic terrorism. Never met him but we know his territory of West Southend and Leigh-on-Sea well - not far at all from here. I also remember the surprise of him taking Basildon in the general election that returned John Major's Conservatives against all expectation,. He was the best of constituency MPs, the best of our often rotten politics.It's good that the opposition parties will not field candidates in the by-election that will follow, but whoever the Conservatives select will have a very hard act to follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

15/04/24 Good news, mostly

I have my appointment for CT scan and pre-assessment at UCLH (Euston) on Wed 17th, probable surgery date for the cement injection Thursday 2...