Thursday 23 December 2021

23/12/21 RUDY, and two deaths

Did the RUDY blood draw yesterday  at the Chelmsford Health Hub,  You might think that by this time (it's the fourth one there, I think) they'd have got the hang of it and wouldn't have to go off to talk to the bosses to find out if it's OK or not - especially as I give all the details when I book the appointment. But rules must be followed, I suppose. The phlebotomist wasn't all that great either, although she was at least painless. I had holes in both elbows by the time she was finished - and another one to come later today at Springfield.








Didn't get a lot else done yesterday, but my NHS letter about sending a PCR kit ready for fast action in the event of COVID symptome did arrive - although the test kit didn't. Should be here by Jan 10th, although I know that a lot of people have theirs already. The letter also confirms my eligibility for one of the new antivirals if needed (there are now three to choose from). So we've just about made my criteria for returning to live music - a vaccine that works for the immune-compromised, and at least two different treatments. Nevertheless, I don't feel at all confident with Omicron around.

Some sad and related news - the wife of one of he other admins on the facebook group died after nine years of myeloma. She also caught COVID (not sure which variety) and despite being triple-vaccinated had no antibodies to fight the virus. A harsh reminder that even if the vaccines are 90+% effective, that still isn't 100% and nothing can be taken for granted. 

I also heard of the death of an old internet friend I've known online for the best part of 25 years. He had kidney disease and made the decision to take whatever was coming rather than fight it. A deeply cynical, brave, articulate, dark-souled man with a warm heart underneath it all. He went the way he wanted to go, and maybe that's all any of us can hope for when the end of the road arrives.


No comments:

Post a Comment

28/04/24 Cement!

 An early morning trip to London last Thursday morning, and straight into anaesthesia and the procedure. I gather it took a bit over two hou...