Friday 16 July 2021

16/07/21 Southend etc.

We went to Southend as planned, although the weather was more cloudy and less sunny than expected. Had fish'n'chips on the front (you just have to, when in Southend) followed by Rossi ice-creams to clean the palate. Apologies for the amount of mine that ended up on my beard...












Enjoyed watching the people on the rides at Adventure Island. Several end-of-year school trips in evidence, all remarkably civilised.
















There's also something of an authoritarian side to Southend. All for the public good but it feels just a little over the top...
















In the evening I went to Thorley Petanque (confusingly now based at the Birchanger Social Club with its sand piste). I played one game with a very French family - father and two sons about 12 and 14. I played with the older one, Dad and the younger son making the opposition. Both kids were really good as well as being  very stylish - obviously the game is in their blood and they've been playing for years.












Nevertheless they were kind enough to say I played really well. I might not go that far, but well enough to gain some respect, I think. I dropped one shot on top of the coche so that it got completely buried under the sand. Not sure that the Rules of Boules have a provision for "invisible coche"...

No comments:

Post a Comment

15/04/24 Good news, mostly

I have my appointment for CT scan and pre-assessment at UCLH (Euston) on Wed 17th, probable surgery date for the cement injection Thursday 2...