Monday 19 July 2021

19/07/21 Freedom Day!

I do try to keep living with Myeloma as the primary topic of this blog, but COVID keeps pushing its way in front - and if today isn't a good time, when else? 

Along with the rest of the immune-compromised population I am of course concerned that our vulnerable status has been overlooked in the lifting of restrictions, even though that is going to be far less comprehensive than we once thought. I can't see that things are going to be much different for me - I shall continue to observe some sort of distancing while inside, and I'll wear a facemask in shops etc. even though I have serious doubts as to their value.

A good boules session at Ongar yesterday - Brian and I lost yet another doubles, but this time by 13 - 10 which is by some distance our best score yet. We might even win one before we run out of opponents.

After that I kept being asked to play another game, so I didn't get home until about 14;30. Four games altogether, I think.

Some pre-match "gardening" at Ongar to remove overhanging branches. Either that, or somebody's high lob went wrong and left a boule stuck up there...










We start them young at Ongar:










And here's the remains of a 90th birthday celebration for one of our members, who's still a very useful player:










The cupcakes were top class!


Later today I shall be off to Hanbury Gardens for my first meeting with Epping Boules. That, I think, will complete my survey of places to play within reasonable driving distance. Apart from The Swan at Rayne, but I have a plan for that. And I've paid the sub to join Birchanger Sports and Social Club, which means I'm now a member of Thorley Petanque and will be out there every Thursday evening as long as the light holds out...

No comments:

Post a Comment

15/04/24 Good news, mostly

I have my appointment for CT scan and pre-assessment at UCLH (Euston) on Wed 17th, probable surgery date for the cement injection Thursday 2...